Family Ski Vacations. What's hot and what's not? Check out our favorite kids ski free offers and top familiy ski resort destinations PLUS things to do on and off the slopes! It doesn't matter who you are, if you're planning a ski vacation you'll want to be in the know about all the things to see and do on and off the slopes, as well as some helpful advice from seasoned parents (it just so happens Rocky Mountain Getaway Travel Consultants have quite a bit of experience in this area!) on ways to maximize the fun, to keep your kiddos begging for more, year after year!
Whether you're a "never-ever" or a seasoned expert there's a kids ski free offer for you! Planning an amazing ski vacation doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Before booking you should consider the options for on and off the slope activities, and check any unrealistic expectations you may have at the door when you leave home... so let's get started!
You're not alone wondering if it's worth it to take the kids if they've never skied or snowboarded, let alone seen the snow, before. Let's face it, there's lot to consider from lifts to rentals, lessons and oh, the biggest concern of them all; what if they don't like to ski or board after all?
Don't fret, we have you covered. Here are a few things to consider and ways that our professional Travel Consultants can help tailor the perfect family ski vacation for you!
- BEST KID-FRIENDLY SKI RESORTS: Our best advice is to choose a family-friendly resort that offers as many off-slope activities as on. This way, if your little tyke doesn't take to skiing right away they can have fun doing other things like coloring, crafts, and exploring science. And, if you enjoy skiing you can do so guilt-free knowing the kids are warm and happy!
- KEYSTONE: Keysone has a ton of FREE Activities for kids like the Fort at Kidtopia and more, plus some great additional activities like snow tubing, yoga, ice skating, and nordic skiing options.
- COPPER: Kids are welcome at Copper Mountain, they even have their own night…Kid’s Night Out! Copper Mountain’s base village put’s all of the winter adventures within steps of the lodging. From the ski slopes to the tubing hill, the outdoor ice skating rink to the mountain coaster, everything in the village is within an easy walk and the fun is endless.
- ASPEN SNOWMASS: Afternoon Smore’s in the Snowmass Base Village tops off the day of fun for the kids at this most family friendly mountain resort which boasts an entire area of the mountain, atop the Elk Camp Gondola, dedicated to your children’s enjoyment with complete with Snow Tubing & the Alpine Coaster. Ullr Nights transforms this area into a weekly adventure park in the evenings dedicated to family fun. Snowmass’ signature TreeHouse Children’s Center offers a host of indoor adventures for the little ones that are paired with outdoor activities to help make this one of the most fun destinations for the kids.
- STEAMBOAT: A destination that has been formed on family adventure, the fun and excitement is spread throughout the Steamboat Springs area with activities found on the mountain and around this authentic Cowboy town. Snow Tubing on Saddleback Ranch, Sleigh Rides through the wilderness, Dog Sledding in the National Forest, and Snowmobile excursions on Rabbit Ears Pass highlight the family fun in the Steamboat area. Take a ride on the Alpine Coaster right on the ski slopes and no trip to Steamboat is complete without a visit to the Strawberry Park Hot Springs! Family fun awaits in this mountain playground!
- BIG SKY: The allure of Big Sky starts with the breathtaking mountain and the fun is endless in the village. From Zip Lining to Bungie Trampolining, the outdoor adventures that start on the ski slopes pour down into the village and surrounding mountain landscape. Sleigh Rides and Dog Sledding get you into the heart of nature while a Snow Coach excursion into Yellowstone National Park is a must-do for the entire family.
- BEST FAMILY-FRIENDLY SKI LODGING: When deciding where to stay, it is so worth it to stay close to the slopes. If you're wondering if ski-in / ski-out lodging is worth the hype, read our blog post ... it's pretty convincing. In a nutshell, the closer you are to the slopes the more time you have to play, and the fewer hassles you have getting to and from. Second to slopeside accommodations, consider those accommodations right on the bus loop. Most resort towns have free and convenient shuttle services from town or remote locations, so you never have to drive or lug your family across acres of parking lots. Other considerations are condos with kitchens which allow you to have a healthy breakfast, and sometimes the options to take a mid-day break if you're close enough to the slopes. Concierge service can deliver groceries to your condo for a nominal cost so that you're sure to have the basics and your children's favorite snacks for on and off the slopes. Ski Hotels are great too, but we prefer condos so everyone has more elbow room. Hot tubs and pools are a must with kids.. some accommodations even have tennis courts, saunas, movie rooms, and other great amenities.
- KID-FRIENDLY SKI VACATION EXTRAS: Super moms you may need a break too! Think about bringing your favorite caregiver with you to reduce stress in a new environment. It could be a nanny, your mom, or a sister. Either way, a few extra hands, if your kids are small, can be great when you're playing mitten bingo or looking for lost socks in pant legs! Ski Lessons and guided tours can help you beat the crowds by cutting the lift lines, so you get more runs in during holiday periods when crowds are the highest. Think fast-pass which is a "private group lesson" in ski terminology!
- SKI VACATION VALUES: Who doesn't love a good offer? Whether it's a free night, free skiing, or free ski rentals, or the combination of all three... ask a Rocky Mountain Getaways Travel Consultant to help tailor a ski vacation package* for you.
- The Rocky Mountain Getaways FREE Travel Planning Service Includes:
- Professional travel consultation with a local Mountain Expert
- Detailed itineraries with multiple options & comprehensive packages
- Personalized support throughout the planning process and while you travel